It’s been well documented how glaring the Eagles need at cornerback is heading into the 2021 season. While they haven’t gone out and acquired any blue chip pieces to help fill that need, they have brought in a handful of young, unproven players to add depth.
Last week, the team brought in Nate Meadors, and on Tuesday of this week, Howie Roseman traded for 22-year-old corner Josiah Scott from Jacksonville. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Eagles traded defensive back Jameson Houston and a 2023 sixth-round pick to the Jaguars in exchange for Scott.
Scott was a fourth round pick of the Jaguars just last year. He played 80 defensive snaps for the Jaguars in 2020, recording 11 combined tackles. Scott doesn’t move the needle a whole lot as far as the Eagles cornerback room is concerned, but he is an upgrade over Houston, the player traded for Scott.
Houston played 22 defensive snaps last season for the Eagles and didn’t record a single tackle.
Coming out of Michigan State, Scott accumulated six interceptions, with three coming in his final collegiate season. Standing at 5’9”, 185 pounds, Scott is more of a nickel than an outside corner. The Eagles need for a nickel isn’t as apparent as their need for an outside guy, with Avonte Maddox likely to slide in as the team’s starting nickel.
But, you can never have enough depth, especially at the cornerback position. The Eagles have made a handful of ‘lottery pick’ signings this offseason, with the hopes that at least one of the young guys pops and materializes into something.
We’ll have to wait and see how it all pans out once training camp begins in August.
Sixers Free Agency latest, James Harden's discount, Anticipated PJ Tucker signing, Potential BAE targets, Roster update – The Pulse of the City Pod
- Sixers Free Agency latest, James Harden's discount, Anticipated PJ Tucker signing, Potential BAE targets, Roster update
- Sixers update, De'Anthony Melton trade, Free Agency primer, Bleak MLE options, Bryce Harper's injury
- Sixers Draft primer, Morey looking to trade, Realistic targets/dream prospects at 23rd overall
- Eagles sign Jacquiski Tartt, Thoughts on new font logo, Phillies continue good vibes
- Phillies continue to roll, Rob Thompson culture, Bullpen struggles, NBA Finals update, Celtics' choke job