With NFL rosters set to cut down to 53 players by 4 p.m. this afternoon, the Eagles and Howie Roseman will be busy working the phones all day long. Their first major roster move of the day is a trade with Indianapolis that sends OL Matt Pryor and a 2022 7th round pick to the Colts in exchange for a 2022 6th rounder.
The 7th for 6th round swap to add a depth piece is a classic move in this league. Considering the Eagles weren’t planning to retain Pryor, we can assume the Colts are simply “jumping the line” here as far as waivers go. Given Pryor’s experience at a premium position, he likely would’ve been plucked by a team higher on the waiver wire before Indy had a chance at him.
While not exactly a splash move, this is shrewd maneuvering from Howie Roseman. Turning a 7th into a 6th for a player who was going to be cut for nothing is the sort of transaction on the margins that keeps GMs around. For anyone who believed it was a mistake to trade a 6th rounder (conditional 5th) to the Jaguars for Gardner Minshew, this deal puts that 6th right back in the war chest.
While Pryor wasn’t anticipated to make the 53-man—thus not directly opening up a roster spot for anyone—this move could signal that the Eagles are comfortable with some of the younger reserves that’s we’ve heard about from camp.
One other positive development is that this trade frees up the number 69 to be worn by the team’s second round pick, Landon Dickerson.
Eagles-Cowboys preview, Key matchups, Predictions, POTC Parlay – The Pulse of the City Pod
- Eagles-Cowboys preview, Key matchups, Predictions, POTC Parlay
- Eagles-49ers recap, Sirianni’s poor play-calling, Hurts missed throws, Other takeaways, Phillies update
- Eagles-49ers preview, Key matchups, Predictions, “POTC” parlay
- Eagles blow out Falcons 32-6, Hurts shines, Sirianni’s debut, Main takeaways
- Eagles-Falcons preview, Key matchups, “POTC” Parlay debut, Phillies update