The potential Zach Ertz departure has been a talking point surrounding the Eagles all offseason. From his emotional good bye at his end of the year press conference, to the numerous reports suggesting multiple teams were interested in the tight end, all signs have been pointing towards a divorce between Ertz and Philly for months.
With training camp just five days away, speculation on whether Ertz would attend has been on the mind of nearly every Birds fan. Eagles sideline reporter Howard Eskin chimed in on the Ertz conversation Wednesday, stating that Ertz will attend camp.
Based on Eskin’s report, it seems like Ertz and the Eagles have squashed their beef, which is obviously great news for both parties.
Unless the Eagles got a nice return on the trade block for Ertz, there was never any real reason to part ways with him. Yes, his $8.5 million cap hit this year isn’t ideal, especially if he’s going to be the TE2 behind Dallas Goedert. But nevertheless, having a tight end duo of Goedert and Ertz should benefit the entire offense in 2021.
With Ertz now seemingly dedicated to finishing out his contract with Philly, expect a nice bounce back campaign from the former All Pro tight end. He struggled immensely in 2020, with lingering injuries and the contract dispute hovering over his head. With all of the out of the way, there’s no reason Ertz can’t perform at a high level again in 2021.
This has been a whirl wind of an offseason for the Eagles. Seeing Ertz, a Philly legend through and through, leave in a disgruntled fashion would have just been the icing on the cake. Now, Ertz will have the opportunity to boost his value and leave on his own terms next offseason. While the Eagles may not get anything in return for him now, it’s always great to see someone who’s contributed so much to this team leave without drama fueling the departure.
Sixers Free Agency recap, Offseason grades, Are they a contender? Eastern Conference outlook, KD trade demands – The Pulse of the City Pod
- Sixers Free Agency recap, Offseason grades, Are they a contender? Eastern Conference outlook, KD trade demands
- Sixers Free Agency latest, James Harden's discount, Anticipated PJ Tucker signing, Potential BAE targets, Roster update
- Sixers update, De'Anthony Melton trade, Free Agency primer, Bleak MLE options, Bryce Harper's injury
- Sixers Draft primer, Morey looking to trade, Realistic targets/dream prospects at 23rd overall
- Eagles sign Jacquiski Tartt, Thoughts on new font logo, Phillies continue good vibes