On Friday, the Eagles signed two players, one of which contributed to the Eagles passing game last season.
Rodgers proved last season that he can still contribute in a supporting role. He caught 24 passes for 345 yards and two touchdowns last season, averaging 14.4 yards per reception. His best outing came in the Eagles Week 7 win over the Giants, where he led the team in receiving with 6 catches for 85 yards. He played 85 percent of the offensive snaps in that game with both Ertz and Goedert sidelined with injuries.
Does this signing mean an Ertz departure is on the horizon? It would make sense. Ertz has held out of all team activities so far this offseason and the front office has publicly fielded trade offers for the former All-Pro tight end. It’s the last domino to fall for the Eagles this offseason and it should happen any day now.
As for Michael Walker, he agreed to terms with the team on Thursday, but his signing didn’t become officially until Friday afternoon. The former undrafted free agent played sparingly on offense during his first season in the league, totaling just two receptions for 15 yards in 2019 with the Jaguars.
His role with the Jaguars, and what his role will likely be in Philly, will be on special teams. In 2019, Walker had 18 kick returns, totaling 411 yards with an average of 22.8 yards per return. At Boston College, Walker was one of the best returners in the ACC, earning Second Team All-ACC honors for his returning expertise.
He finished his senior season with 40 kick returns for 1,020 yards and 20 punt returns for 274 yards and a touchdown. It’ll be interesting to see if he makes to cut as the return man in Philly. Greg Ward was the primary punt return specialist with the team last season, fielding 22 punts and gaining 134 yards. If Walker can add some juice to the punt return game, he’ll be a welcomed addition, along with Rodgers.
Sixers Free Agency recap, Offseason grades, Are they a contender? Eastern Conference outlook, KD trade demands – The Pulse of the City Pod
- Sixers Free Agency recap, Offseason grades, Are they a contender? Eastern Conference outlook, KD trade demands
- Sixers Free Agency latest, James Harden's discount, Anticipated PJ Tucker signing, Potential BAE targets, Roster update
- Sixers update, De'Anthony Melton trade, Free Agency primer, Bleak MLE options, Bryce Harper's injury
- Sixers Draft primer, Morey looking to trade, Realistic targets/dream prospects at 23rd overall
- Eagles sign Jacquiski Tartt, Thoughts on new font logo, Phillies continue good vibes